Friday, August 15, 2008

And we're off!

Tomorrow morning at 4am I will packing my two little people in the car for a cross country excursion. I can't wait.

We've been looking forward to this for weeks now, driving west, getting out into the open, visiting the wilderness of South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah... I can't believe the day is almost here. And I am so moved that I am able to show my children these things that my father showed me as child. The mudpots of yellowstone, the fossilized bones of the badlands, the great salt lake mountains. But best of all, is our planned stop to Nebraska City. I nearly tremble thinking about it! I grew up in Nebraska and we spent many days at the Arbor Farm in Nebraska City making cider, learning how bees make honey, and presenting our own shabby quilts at the 4-H fairs. And now I, as a full on grown up, get to revisit these warm spots so rich with memories. And I get to share this with kids of my own! I can't wait.

No comments: